Monday, March 14, 2011

Janie Jackaroo


I've started the work.

I'm going home to my roots.

I'm studying my turquoise stones wondering how to use them.  I pulled out my leather and laid it in my lap.  I ran my hands across the grain.  I smelled it's sharp rugged smell.


It's going to take some time.  Some careful thought and meticulous craftsmanship.


I'm trying to tap into my Great-great-grandmother's moxie. Surely she passed some down the line?

I'm giving myself all Summer.


I sat at my bench and held my ball hammer in my palm.  I arranged my blades and mallets.


I thought about what I want this collection to mean to me.  What I want it to express.


I decided it was beauty in strength.

I want to honor my grandmother and other woman who settled the west.  I want to honor their strength and to see if I can emulate that strength in my own life.


I'm calling this jewelry collection Janie Jackaroo.

It will be ready to debut this Fall. Stay tuned.

most images from here.

9 comments:

Natalie said...

OOooo - I'm so excited!

dorylyn said...

Can I have a yee haw! I am gonna love this!

Anonymous said...

I already know I'm gonna like it!! That kinda stuff is right up this girls alley, all I have to say is you better do that thing where you let your friends preview before you put it in your store, I'm saving my cake dollars for this one.

Kathryn Zbrzezny said...

So you! This sounds right. I am looking forwad to your creations!

RYAN said...

So I don't understand, are your roots in Ogden Utah? I wasn't sure if you were raised in England. Pistachios.

Delightful Domestic Science said...

Love your direction and how you came to your inspiration.

margie said...

yeehaw...so far i am inspired...Brooke will die..
she wants to be native american so bad...
lol
love...
m

Hi Octane Jewelry said...

Can't wait love the inspiration photos. Maybe we should take a road trip somewhere together.

Melissa said...

you really need to come out here to Montana to figure this one out. I think you'll find some great inspiration. And you have a free place to stay :)