Tuesday, March 09, 2010

stamp your art out

So many of you have asked about my stamp carving hobby. I gotta tell ya, it's one of the most relaxing things I do in my life. Some people have a glass of wine, I carve stamps.

It's quiet and methodical and oh so very satisfying.

I made a video of me making a stamp. Here's exactly how its done:


Stamp Carving 101 from April Meeker on Vimeo.




I carved this bird cage stamp yesterday. Sugar Daddy is flying away, to the other side of the world for way to long. I made this card, complete with love note inside, and tucked it into his bags.



My stamp collection is continually growing. People ask me why I don't sell my stamps. The answer is simple. People wouldn't pay what I would ask for them. Stamp carving isn't a mass market craft. It takes time.




I'm considering putting together a class for those in my area that would like to try their hand at stamp carving. If you are interested, please leave a comment with contact info.

19 comments:

clare b said...

Watching your hands at work, listening to music from my favourite movie of all time - you do know how to reduce a girl to tears. Thank you for sharing. I truly love it.

Anonymous said...

wow! you are amazing! love your carved stamps!

margie said...

beautiful as always...
hugs!
m

Krista said...

that is fantastic! i totally want to try it and would definitely sign up to take a class ... alas i'm in utah :(

can you tell us what the material is that you carve from?

karlee said...

I took up stamp carving after seeing your lovely creations as well as, Geninnes Art Blog.

What type of carving block do you use? It looks a lot thinner than the blocks I purchased. Also, what did you used underneath? Is that just a foam board?

Thanks for the inspiration!! You have such lovely designs!

che carina! said...

that was so beautiful to watch.

thanks for sharing the process.

and you're right. while seeing you create and listening to the music..i can so see how it would be relaxing.

Jessa said...

Your beautiful stamp work was what originally got me into stamp carving...and now this video has sent me running to my stamp supplies.

And what was that lovely music?

Many thanks,
Jessa

T. The Destructor said...

Interesting. It reminds me slightly of an art project I attempted once and the finish wasn't NEARLY as nice as yours are. *Sigh* again, so jealous.

I heart the Amelie score by the way. One of my favorites. I'm a movie score/soundtrack hound. How you managed to make me like you more, I couldn't imagine, but there it is.

Erica said...

these are so pretty. i would love to learn from you.

Surfk9s@msn.com said...

Let us know if you do decide to do a class!

Tara said...

The song and your beautiful hands and work - I was mesmerized. TALENT girl, TALENT.

married with children said...

ya, ya, ya...loved the stamp watching...but even more i loved listening to that music! you must reveal what it is. a comment mentioned a movie...was it "somethings gotta give"?
thanks!

Unknown said...

I would LOVE to do your stamp class since I wasn't able to do the one at the pink pineapple. You are so crafty, it's awesome!

Kari said...

The music?
And the medium? What is that stuff.
Oh, how I wish I lived close enough to come on over to a class.

Kim Henkel said...

amazing. I would love to learn...and am local. xoxo

robyncal said...

Beautiful stamps, I would love to come! Let me know if you do have a class.

Stacy of KSW said...

Beautiful! I can't believed I sat here and watched the whole thing - intrigued by the music and your hands. I never thought this was something I could do myself, but hey - now I'm willing to give it a try :)

* said...

No kidding. What an art. I am Amazed.

Courtney said...

Absolutely lovely. I wish I still lived in the San Diego area for your class!