Monday, March 01, 2010

the blessing

For years I have dreamed about my daughter's christening dress. That's the kind of girl I am. I started shopping when we were waiting to adopt even before Thom was born.

Sugar Daddy knows me well and he knows that there was no stopping me when it came time to finally, actually, buy the dress. He gave me his blessing and his Amex.


I had dreamed up an extra long silk number with pearls and lace. A veritable poof extravaganza. A miniature wedding dress.

But I fell in love with a simple cotton frock with hand stitching. To me it looked like it was straight out of the turn of the century.

My Birdie looked like a angel on her blessing day. It was nothing like I had imagined, but all that I had hoped for.




And we served macarons at the party which made the day dreamy.


This daughter of mine, (and she is all mine now) is temperamental and cuddly and smart and demanding and funny and a lot like a macaron. Crusty on the outside, but oh so sweet on the inside.

Sometimes I love her so much I lick her cheek or nibble her ear. And sometimes in the middle of the night I tip toe into her room and lean over her crib and breath deep her delicious baby smell.

Talk about blessings.

10 comments:

Jill said...

It looks and sounds like it was the perfect weekend! I can't wait to hear about all the details. We love you guys and can't wait to see you!

Elizabeth said...

Oh, my. She is so beautiful and so are you. Thank you for sharing your blessings with us.

margie said...

i love this post...i am so happy for you...so grateful the Lord has a plan...
love you...
kiss kiss
m

Kari said...

lovely. kisses to you all.

From the Kitchen said...

Congratulations to Amelie and her wonderful family. She is beautiful!

Nancy said...

She's a doll and I can see how she is a blessing to your family.

Anne Thompson said...

I am oh so happy for you and your family. She truly is a blessing in your lives. Thank you for sharing your joy. Anne, yourmainestamper

Cindy at LottieBird said...

Isn't it lovely that things can be different than we imagined, but more beautiful than we ever hoped?

I think that's how adoption works.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your family. Doen't it take your breath away when you look around and see that your prayers have been answered? Enjoy your blessings.

Natalie said...

you all look perfect.