Monday, March 29, 2010

everyday

Everyday I get up and get Birdie her bottle. I cuddle her in the dim morning light and let the events of the last week settle into my brain anew.

Everyday I spend twenty minutes arguing with the boy about getting in the bath.

Everyday I try to keep some form of organization in the room we are staying in at my parents house.

Everyday I figure out childcare for the hours that I am gone.

Everyday I drive to Salt Lake City, search for a parking spot, walk through the huge revolving door, ride the elevator, and navigate the maze to the NICU.

Everyday I sit with my son and the stress melts away and it is only us and the beeping of the monitor.

Everyday I wonder when my life will be "normal".

And everyday I feel more love for my family and more love for my son's birth family and I wonder how I got this lucky.

9 comments:

Ilena said...

Wow, what a whirlwind! I can't even imagine. Sending strength your way as you ride this wave. It's truly amazing this thing called life.

Anonymous said...

So amazing! Word can't describe how I feel for you and your family. Joy is such an understatement. And let's face it chaotic is the new normal, so enjoy.

jeanette from everton terrace said...

Your life is normal. It is normal for right now. I love the quote "how we spend our days is how we spend our lives". What a wonderful life you're living - sounds perfect (harried, but perfect). Congratulations again.

queen bee tracy said...

Oh hoochie momma! As a lurker (who lerbs reading your musings), I had to break free and send some commentage your way. As the lucky, blessed, tired but happylicious momma of two (who came to us via adoption), the story of your newest little one just makes my heart sing. I know of the feelings you have. That surety, the immediate, innate and intimate knowledge that you were born to be for that baby and he for you. Life is rarely what we plan or expect but that is what makes it so wonderful. Sending many good vibes and blessings to baby Henry and your family.

Cindy at LottieBird said...

Sounds like a lovely way to spend your days, April.

I'm glad you feel love for your son's birth family. I recently met mine. It feels so good to not have to choose who to love.

I once heard it said that if a mother can love more than one child, why can't a child love more than one mother.

I will always call the mother who raised me mom, but it is wonderful to be loved by two women who are such a part of me.

Molly said...

Sending you blessings my friend!
~Molly P

margie said...

normal...so over-rated...
live on the edge...
love the booties!
kiss kiss
m

Brynn Marie said...

My little guy spent 81 days in the NICU before we could bring him home. It was the longest time of my entire life, but made me a much stronger person today.

I hope your little one gets to come home soon :)

Unknown said...

I am late with my congrats!

Just caught up on recent events - wow, hugs and prayers from Ireland for ALL of your family ;)