Friday, March 30, 2012

to thine own self: part III create


Let me make one thing clear.

Creativity is not defined as the ability to design.  This is a fallacy that our society has imposed.

Creativity is defined as the ability to transcend traditional ideas, rules, patterns, relationships, or the like, and to create meaningful new ideas, forms, methods, interpretations, etc.; originality, progressiveness, or imagination.

Every human is creative. Alas, it is part of what makes us human.  It is why we have the Golden Gate Bridge and the internet and Godiva cheesecake. Oh God bless the soul who created Godiva cheesecake!

You, sitting here, reading this! You are creative. And guess what. You should be using that creativity and I'll tell you why.

The creative energy that resides in each of us is not benign. It is energy and is has to go somewhere. Somebody figured that out a long time ago using their creativity. I think it was Newton maybe.

Epotential -> action

So you have this energy inside of you. And if it isn't being used it gets stored, like fat, in our cells. Often it will metastasize. Which isn't good. This means it mutates into something else. Something ugly. 

Just what it becomes is varied. Everyone is different. But the feeling that we all get from this mutant energy is the same. It feels like anxiety. Like listlessness. Like agitation.

Remember when you were a kid and you were stuck in the back seat on a long road trip and you were unable to get out and play? Remember how you would have an overwhelming urge to tease your sibling or annoy your parents? That's the feeling I'm talking about. 

People are happier when they are exercising their creativity. They are more content. Their self-esteem is higher. They are better people. Period.

Now, here is the last part of my personal happiness plan. Ready?

Be creative.

That's it. Create something. Anything. Today and tomorrow and every other day after that. 

And don't worry- I've heard all the excuses about no time, no money, no ideas. 

To hell with circumstances. Create opportunity.  Bruce Lee said that.

It's not easy. Nothing worth doing is ever easy. Usually when I am working on a project I have to stop a billion times to change a diaper, get a snack, break up a fight, answer the phone or make a meal.  I can't afford to buy the top of the line supplies all the time. Sometimes I try and try and try to get something right until I am so frustrated I can hardly stand myself. It's not easy.


Sometimes you have to push boundaries. Think outside the box to make things work.

I recently saw a film that perfectly illustrates what it means to create opportunity. Here's a clip:



You were born to create. Fulfilling this potential will bring you joy. This I know for sure.

Start today. 

6 comments:

homemade@myplace said...

...thank you!!!
xxx Alessandra

Jackie said...

You just made my day

Laurie said...

well said April, and it's all true...before I started papercrafting...I felt like something was missing, like I wanted to do something more...I had no idea what...then I went to a stamping up party, put one stamp to paper...and was like "ok, this is it..." that was 14 years ago...been creating ever since :)

Unknown said...

BOOyah!

I'm all over it. Starting now.

Anonymous said...

you have the most beautiful blog i ever saw - on creativity, i like this thinking of yours - Golden Gate bridge is created by a Swiss, Ammann his name. Greatings from Switzerland.

Liz Morton said...

This post moved me so much, I finally started my own blog! Thanks for the inspiration, April!

http://www.thelaughingkraken.com/2012/09/12/unleashthekrake/

-Liz