Wednesday, December 07, 2011

jingle balm- DIY



Here's a fun little idea for handmade gifts for friends. I originally thought this idea would be great for my friend's daughter to make. Kate is eleven and perfectly capable of doing the entire project by herself.  

But then I had so much fun making it myself, I thought if I had co-workers, I'd make these for them. I'm going to give them to girl friends as a party favor at a Christmas brunch.




Supplies needed:

Natural lip balm base
Flavouring (optional)
Glass container to melt base in
Tins or tubes
Colorant (optional)




There are plenty of recipes online for homemade lip balm. Its a fairly easy recipe. You will just need to find a few special ingredients.

But to make it even easier, you can buy premade lip balm base and add your own flavor and color.  Once your supplies arrive, it's just a matter of melting the balm base in the microwave and then adding flavor and color.  You can mix flavors to make gourmet balms. The sky is the limit. I ordered creme de menthe flavor because I thought that would be Christmasy.

Plastic lip balm tubes are super cheap. I opted for tins because I think they are cute.  Each tin was .50 but if you are making a lot of lip balm, you could buy them bulk and get them for much less.

I didn't spend a lot of time creating a great lable for the tins because I knew I wanted to put them in little felt pockets. But if you have some graphic design skills, you could make some really great lables. I printed my labels on water proof paper so they don't wear off as fast.

I told Birdie to pucker up to model our lip balm. This is what I got...


 Once you are balmed, it's time to find some miseltoe. You are ready to kiss someone.  Unless you are a little brother.


Merry balm making!

9 comments:

Nancy Wyatt said...

What an great gift, and love the packaging too! And then the children, oh my they are simply beautiful! This is hilarious! Thanks for sharing Spark Sister! xoxo from Conroe, TX!

Aunt Julie said...

Love, love the kisssy. oxo.

lorie said...

April, you are awesome.

Elizabeth said...

The photos, as always -- outrageously adorable!

Angela said...

I want to know how you made those felt bags you put them in?

Cheryl G. said...

Love it all! Those photos of those kids! Priceless!

Jan Quigley said...

Awww so sweet, I just sent the link to an online quilt group I'm in.

FlourishingPalms said...

Who knew you could make your own lip balm!? Thanks for sharing. Your children are absolutely precious. I appreciate smiling all the way through this post.

krochet4kids said...

Thank you for the wonderful tutorial, aren't kids just great, reminds me of my 18 mo grandson and 15 mo granddaughter, they are kissin cousins!