Wednesday, May 09, 2012

i love you tammis keefe


This is Tammis Keefe. She was a textile designer during the 1940's and 50's.  She is one of my design heros.  I love her art more than just about any other designer from the mid-century.


Have started collecting Tammis Keefe linens. I mostly have vintage handkerchiefs because they are more affordable than full table cloths and runners.  I was looking at my collection yesterday and wondering how to display them.  I love the idea of making them into a quilt, but I don't want to sew them because I don't want to devalue them.

I have enough other vintage hankies to make a quilt so I think I make one with those. You know, as if I could actually make a quilt. Sheesh. I really suck at making quilts and I love them soooo much. It kind of pisses me off a little. Anyone out there want to sew the quilt top for me? I will pay.

My friend Tara sent me this idea to frame the hankies and I love it.  The thought of an entire wall covered with Tammis Keefe hankies makes my heart race.


In fact, I am now convinced that I cannot go on living without a Tammis Keefe hankie wall.

If I've piqued your interest, you can see a collection Tammis Keefe textiles on my Pintrest board.

Just don't bid against me on Ebay or I'll have to cut ya.

"Color is the most important factor 
in design generally, 
and in handkerchief design, specifically, 
color prepares the emotions for the design itself, 
as music sets the mood of the Play."
~ Tammis Keefe, 1952 Craft Horizons



1 comment:

Jacq Cue said...

My heart just skipped a beat! Oh my!