Wednesday, May 23, 2012

lofty goals


I was feeling sorry for myself the other day.  

I was looking at my friends photos taken at Surtex and the National Stationary show and feeling very sorry for myself that I wasn't there, participating. Oh poor forlorn me. Nobody likes me, my art.

And just generally feeling like my art career is super slow going and lifeless.

So I said to myself,  "Self, this is it. You are setting a goal. You are going to Surtex next year."

And then I immediately got scared because I'd set such a lofty goal. And my go to thought is always, I can't do it, I'm not good enough.

But, you know, what the hell.  What do I have to lose? 

So now I've plastered my goal up on the world wide web for all to see, which is more than setting it in stone, because people will know if I fall short. How embarrassing.

But I think very helpful nonetheless. For instance, the fear of embarrassment will motivate me and also, if you happen to be an agent or a creative director of a company who likes my art, you might just call me up and say, let's make this happen. That would be nice.

Anyway, here's to goals and living stagnant free.



11 comments:

Laurie said...

April, you make amazing art, and that is one good goal you have made, and I am sure you will keep it :) I have been making some goals lately too regarding my art, would love to sell my cards when the little one goes to school and I have time to actually work on it, but it's scary, the thought of opening my own little business, I know nothing about it...good luck :)

Claudia said...

What!!!?? Nonsense!!! You are super crazy talented!!! You will reach your goal!!

Emily said...

Congratulations! You're totally going to make it and rock it.

Laurie said...

Hi April, thanks for the comment on my blog, I will check out that link you gave me :)

L

Michelle Springer said...

Oh sweets, we all have those days where we feel "less than enough". You are an amazing artist. I am sure that if you set your sights on attending that event next hear, you will have no problem getting there. I think you are Amazeballs. Xo

Elizabeth said...

It's astounding to me that you doubt your artistic self. Just astounding. Despite not being a visual artist, I think I have THE EYE, and this eye sees you as rocking that show AND rocking the art world in general.

Leonie Waldron said...

April, I'm not one of those people who comments on blogs, although I read a whole lot of them! I just had to write to you, as I know exactly how you feel - many times I've avoided going public about setting a goal because I'm scared I won't reach it, and if everyone knows about it then I'll be held accountable for it. It sucks being afraid of silly things like this. Your work is beautiful - I hope you don't mind but I've got your artwork from this post now set as my desktop background :) Good luck and remember if you never fail you never learn anything, so you will come out on top either way! xo Leonie

Samie said...

Wow. How did you get into my head? That is *exactly* how I've been feeling lately! And I also said screw it! Why not? What do we have to lose? *Grin*

Karen Strickholm said...

Darn it, I don't think my comment posted! So here it is again -- Watch this clip of Neil Gaiman on creating art. It will give you COURAGE!

http://www.brainpickings.org/index.php/2012/05/22/neil-gaiman-commencement-address/

Fiona Cartolina said...

Dear April Meeker,
Let's make this happen. How about you design some more fabulous cards for Cartolina for our fall release in August? I happen to know that the cards you designed for us a few weeks ago are flying off the shelves of some pretty high profile stores around the world. We are very pleased :-)
Looking forward to working with you again,
Fiona - Cartolina

Belinda Fireman said...

Oh, I know that feeling.