Tuesday, July 13, 2010

lost in translation

Paisley Polymer Pendant
Paisley Polymer Pendant


I am often asked where I get ideas for the jewelry I make. The answer is cliche'.  I get inspiration everywhere I go. Sometimes from the weirdest of places.


I have a big magnet board in my studio that I use to display items that I love.  I saved the above canvas Prana tag off a pair of pants I bought like three years ago.  I loved the print. I little square is a sample of an Amy Butler fabric. And just who doesn't love anything from Amy Butler?


These items became the inspiration for a polymer clay pendant.  I know it's not exact. That's not the point in case you thought it was.  When I am inspired by something, and I set out to create using that inspiration, I hope something gets lost in translation. That's what makes it mine.


This pendant and many other items will be for sale early this Fall at Spark and then in my shop.  I will be posting photos of different pieces as I make them over the next month or so. If you see something you like, let me know and I'll save it for you.


Did I mention how much fun I'm having lately with clay?  Well I am really enjoying a new found artistic medium to work with.  And the best thing about it is that I can bring it down to the kitchen or outside in the yard and work on a project while the Little Mister sleeps and the other kids play. Although Thom has been sitting by me, having some fun with it as well.


The Boy

I just love that my son enjoys art as much as I do.

Yesterday he made some marbles.  Today he wants to make little monsters.

Thomas's Polymer Marbles

Polymer clay is a perfect craft to do with kids.  You may need to knead the clay until it is soft and easy for little fingers to manipulate, but after that you can just let them create until their little hearts content.

The clay is hardened by baking it in the oven.

You can find clay at any craft store. It isn't expensive and comes in a bunch of colors.  But I have to say, mixing your own colors is super enjoyable.

It's serious Summer crafting fun for kids.


Check it.


Crafty Momma over and out.

9 comments:

Julie said...

I'll get the clay today. Yesterday around 4 summer started getting on my nerves. We need something to do!

tollestrupfamily said...

Thom looks so cute with his haircut!

Mrs. Jenk said...

I want the pendant! Tell me what to do next :)

Annajenk@yahoo.com

Kathryn Zbrzezny said...

Gorgeous! And I LOVE the way you speak about art coming from inspiration and hoping that some of it gets lost in translation...I understand this perfectly and adore how you put it. Thank you! Keep making more, I see we all love them and want some!! ~K

Unknown said...

love Amy Butler .

and your pendant. wow.

Anonymous said...

That totally gives me inspiration for a cake! Love it! Pretty soon people will be saying "and who doesn't love April Meeker", of course they're already saying it...what was I thinking?!!!

Elizabeth said...

Sounds like a great craft idea for my kids -- we've been aiming for one craft day a week! I love the blue and green colored marbles -- gorgeous!

Dori Patrick said...

Wow, your work is gorgeous and amazing!! Keep on keepin' on!

Cindy at LottieBird said...

Just yesterday I was asked the same question about my creativity. And, ironically, I had the exact same answer--including the part about my answer being cliche.
I used to think it was pretentious for artists to talk about inspiration in the sunset, etc. Now I know it is just the truth.

I was once in a store which sold handmade jewelry and a friend asked if I was getting a lot of ideas. My answer was, "not really. I have more Ideas than I can possibly make."
One block later, I stood in awe at a window display of a French Market in Savannah. I was speechless. Ideas were flying into my head and I suddenly had a whole new line of jewelry to create.
It really does come from everywhere, doesn' it? I love the tag.
And I love the brooch. I never thought I'd be drawn to polymer clay, but your creation makes me realize that really beautiful things can be made out of clay. It also makes me realize that I don't have your talent for sculpting!
sorry to be so verbose this AM!