Monday, October 04, 2010

harvest mix

Oh good glory be it's here. Halloween is upon us. And I couldn't be more happy about that.

The costumes are all ready for the kids. The mantle is decorated.  Candy corn is purchased. Yes, I am that one individual that loves candy corn. Oh, the Sugar Daddy does too.  You know the harvest mix Brach's puts out every Halloween? We buy it. Like five bags of it. It's amazeballs* mixed with peanut M&M's.

I really do love the fall. The fashion. The food. I love it all.
For me it's a little like Christmas Spirit come early.  It puts a skip in my step.

The Sugar Daddy has been bitten by the harvest bug as well. Which, if you knew him,  you'd realize this is a huge step in the right direction.  He generally hates anything in the least bit commercial or where people run around with big stupid grins on their faces. What can I say? He's a wee bit grinchy.

But the other night he announced that instead of Halloween candy, we are going to hand out shave ice. Did I mention he bought a shave ice machine? He did. I was flabbergasted at first, then curious, and now I'm allllll over it.  We have like a kabillion flavors and it is now our new family tradition.  Thom had a huge bowl of shave ice with candles instead of cake for his birthday.  Clearly God knew I just couldn't get a cake made this year with the babies and all,  so he blessed us with a shave ice machine. He works in mysterious ways.

So we are handing out Hawaiian shave ice cones. Which could be a huge hit or a huge disaster.  We'll see. Parents may hate us.  Live and learn. Live. And. Learn.

So there's that. The shave ice news and also  I bought the most amazing pair of pointy-toed, sling-back heels at an antique store last weekend.  Talk about amazeballs. They make me feel like I just might be Jackie O. reincarnate.   I'm sure I'll be sharing pictures of them down the road sometime.

Speaking of down the road, we are packing up and heading out of town on Sunday which means I will be forced to do some wash so everyone can have clean knickers for the trip.  Which in turn means I must get in the right frame of mind to do this most dreaded of all domestic chores.  No love lost there.

It's going to be a busy busy week my friends and I'm wondering if I'm really up to it all. I'd much rather sit around and eat Harvest mix.



Here's my Halloween mantle from last year. I'll share this year's mantle later this week.  Stay tuned. This week's gunna be a doozy.

* This word belongs to one Margie Romney-Aslett, but I have stolen it, and I claim it as my own from now on.

Also, will spell check ever learn that I like to make up words and to just roll with it?  Enough with the little red dots already.

photo credits 

3 comments:

Sherri said...

I used to make shave ice while working at the Polynesian Cultural Center & I'm totally addicted, especially when it has a little ice cream on the bottom! It's my favorite thing to eat in Hawaii, never thought of owning my own machine. Not a bad idea... although it can be a sticky mess!

Molly said...

I love the shave ice idea! Very different than the regular candy we give out. Hmmm got me thinking for our fall festival we hold at church, maybe I should get a shave ice machine for the kids. Hope you have a great trip!!
~Molly P

Kathryn Zbrzezny said...

I smiled through your entire wonderful post. I would kill for a bag of M&M Pretzels right now, and candy corn and a caramel apple...and some shaved ice.