Thursday, October 07, 2010

it was a dark and stormy day...

click photo for larger size

The day I worked on decorating my mantle the wind was blowing, the sky was dark and the rain was coming down in sheets.  It was the perfect day for spookifying your house.  

I made myself a hot cup of apple cider and went to work.

My theme this year is "The Raven" by Edgar Allen Poe.


You may remember my "Thom Pixie" from several years back. I simply took a photo of my son as a baby, photocopied it onto card stock and turned him into a pixie.


The wreath was made by rolling book pages and hot gluing them together. I drew a silhouette of a raven on coffee stained paper for the center.


I love the way these Victorian collars turned out for the candle holders.  They were also made using book paper. I stamped out scalloped circles, folded them over the end of a pencil to create little cups and glued them tightly together on a form.

The rats are from the Martha Stewart collection. The glittery spiders that I absolutely love are from Z Gallery.  Sparkly pumpkins and skulls are available at Target. I bought the banner download from House of 3.

I used an entire book to create this mantle. My apologies to the author, but I tired to get into your book. It just sucked.  Better luck next time.


Edgar Allen Poe

The Raven

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
`'Tis some visitor,' I muttered, `tapping at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.

12 comments:

DomestiKatie. said...

get. OUT.
i am minutes away from hammering a fallen tree onto my wall just to pretend i have a mantle so i can do beautiful things like this in my house.
it looks incredible, seriously. you're amazing at whatever you do.

Bekah: said...

You ooze talent. I think this looks perfectly spooky, dark but with a touch of glamour and mystery.

I kind of have a {crush} on everything you do!

From the Kitchen said...

I love Poe and your mantle. When we lived in Charleston, S.C., we always went on the Haunted Hayride on (I think, since all those islands run together sort of) Sullivan's Island where Poe wrote "The Goldbug". It scared the you know what out of me every year!!

Best,
Bonnie

Janet said...

LOVE this April...it looks amazing!

holly* said...

amazing display! totally inspired to finish dressing up my mantel now!!! thanks for sharing!

Thespa McLaughlin said...

"Why is a Raven like a writing desk?" -Mad Hatter

-because Poe wrote on both!
Love your decor!

Amy said...

I am at school... reading blogs... haha! I am just getting my Halloween on here and preparing a few lessons on the old Godfather of Gothic... Poe. I love your mantle... You amaze me! Why don't you come to Utah on Saturday for my witches brew? It would be fun! Just do it!

Kathryn Zbrzezny said...

Wow! I am spooked out in love with your mantle...Do you think Poe just rolled over in his grave...to check it out? Amazing.

Heather Toller said...

Love it!

said...

Holy Moly! This is absolutely stunning! I am seriously inspired by that amazing wreath! And had to giggle out loud at your message to the author about his/her book! hee hee!

Krista Nash said...

I love your mantle! I can't believe you are able to change the theme each year. Perhaps one day my Halloween collection will be extensive enough to switch themes. Is there any way you can expand a bit on the paper collars you made? Or direct me to a tutorial. Google is not helping me find anything right now, but I LOVE the look! Thanks.

Gayle said...

Thanks for sharing your decorations! I loved your wreath SO much that I had to make one for myself! Thanks for the inspiration!
http://stitchonezoomin.blogspot.com/2010/10/autumn-wreath.html