Monday, April 06, 2009

new shoes


"Are these shoes on sale?" she asked.
"The leather ones?" she added.

The sales clerk was from the Bronx. She said nothing but maneuvered her large bottom around the desk to look over her glasses at the shoes. She snapped her gum twice and replied, "Yeah, those ones are half off too. Yous should get two pair fa that price."

And so she did.


Acrylic nails clicked wildly on the cash register. The woman from the Bronx tilted her chin to get a better look at the customer. "You gots a little one at home?"

"No." She replied. "My baby is due May 19th."

"Is that so? Yous must carry your babies up inside. My girlfriend was like that too. Cept she got really big in the back, if you know what I mean. Yous look really good."

"Thanks" she said. "I work out."

With that, she took her little blue bag, with the new shoes inside and walked out into the sunshine.

7 comments:

Kari said...

I got that all the time, too. And sometimes I would come clean, but mostly not.

How's the air up there on cloud nine?

Anonymous said...

LOL!!!! I am laughing SO hard!

Jill said...

I LOVE it! BTW ... where did you get the shoes? I think we might need a pair, too!

Good luck this week and keep me posted!

Love ya!

Light and Writing said...

You Rock!

tollestrupfamily said...

I know you loved that moment. Milk it for all it's worth sister. Women will look at you with green envy when they see you looking so fab and pushing a newborn in your fabulous pram.

Jenny said...

LOVE IT!!!! Enjoy your fabulous body with a brand new baby!

Julie from Hungary said...

Haha, I love your style! This story telling is so fun. Have a good day!!