Friday, February 05, 2010

button bracelet tutorial

I've been totally slammed in such a happy, happy way with jewelry orders. My bff Jenny is coming to my rescue. She will be over later today with her sewing machine and nimble fingers. I'm putting her to work.

That's the thing I love most about Jenny. She's true blue through and through. She's always there when I'm in a pinch.

I made her this valentine. Andre the Greek and Sugar Daddy have been doing a lot of squid fishing as of late and I had sea creatures on the brain so I drew us as jellies.


And then I had the bright idea to make a bracelet to go along with it because, you know, I have soooo much extra time on my hands. It, of course had to be blue to match the card, with one pink button for quirkiness.

And then I thought I should do a tutorial about these button bracelets because they are a super fun and cheap project that you can do with kids and they make really great Valentine gifts.

So here it is, because I have soooo much extra time on my hands.

Supplies:

For a standard 7 1/2 bracelet you will need fifteen or so buttons, fifteen or so jump rings at least 8mm in diameter, a clasp, flat nose pliers. You can find all these things at your local craft store. Or if you are super lucky, you can snatch some vintage buttons out of your grandma's button jar. (I'm not that lucky)

Step 1:
The golden rule to jump rings is "don't pull- twist". If you pull them apart you won't be able to get them back into shape. Instead hold one side with one hand and then grasp the other side with your pliers and twist.

Thread the jump ring through one of the button holes.


Step 2:
Add two buttons on each jump ring so that you form a chain.


Keep going until you reach your desired length and then add on one more jump ring to one end and a clasp to the other.

Simple simple simple. This is a really great crafts for kids and all you need to do to make your bracelet more mature is to use fancier buttons. It is extra special if you can add a button off a loved ones clothing. Baby buttons are ridiculously cute. Give it a go and let me see your finished projects!



FYI: I will be adding a few more items into my shop later today and into the weekend.
AND DON'T FORGET TO ENTER TO WIN THE FREE CUSTOM BLOG TEMPLATE ON WEDNESDAY'S POST

16 comments:

jodie said...

I might have to get out of my jammies, load all three kids into the car in the snow and head to Hobby Lobby to go buy the supplies for this! SUCH A GREAT IDEA! The Grandma's in our life would LOVE to have this for V-day from my little girls! Thanks!

Kimberly said...

Oh, I love your little Octopi drawing.

Heather @ Life Made Lovely said...

while my little man is with his gigi (grandma) this weekend I want to make one of these. Any which way I can add more buttons into my life is good by me.

Jenny said...

I love your comments about me! Always love to help and learn the jewelry business! Love my earrings and darling bracelet! I'll work anytime for ya! Love ya!

Sharon said...

Oh-OH-OH- I needed a couple of V-day gifts. PERFECT! takin' a trip to my local CS tomorrow :) Thank you so much.

ScrappyDandyDoo said...

Oooo what a simple but really lush idea!!!
I feel lots of these coming my way :D
Julie xx

Pattie said...

Thank you so much for sharing I might just have to try this (after I get to all of my other projects lol)

Franny Bobbitt said...

I just organized my beads & buttons today and tonight I came across your blog. It has given me new inspiration. Thanks, Franny

DeniseB said...

Thanks for sharing this fun project.... I have been on a button-collecting jag lately, and now I know what to do with some of my treasures!
DeniseB

JennC said...

Hi April, long time reader, first time commentor here ;0) I loved your little tutorial and had to make a couple right away!

Here's a link http://jennzthoughtfulspot.blogspot.com/2010/02/so-sweet.html

Thank you so much for your inspiration and sharing your wonderful journey through motherhood and craftyness.

tamifoulger said...

Love the new look! I can't say enough about how uber (is that a word) talented you are. I've heard your getting a little busier these days. I'm so happy for you. Let's do lunch soon.

ScrappyDandyDoo said...

Not as delicate as yours but I have more rings on order LOL

http://itsascrappylifeforme.blogspot.com/2010/02/beautiful-buttons.html

Thanks for the fab tutorial :D

Julie xx

Anonymous said...

i had a quick go with some buttons too--really enjoyed it!

Pics on my blog

http://laughswithleigh.blogspot.com/

Rachel said...

Hey there, I blogged about the bracelets I made after your inspiration. It is like the kindergarten version of your loveliness but I thought you might enjoy seeing the result of your sharing :) rachelsolly.blogspot.com

Dianewr said...

Buttons are my absolute favorite! I hope to make the button bracelet!

Jr. Williams said...

I accidently slammed my locker on my finger?
Finger Pinch Guard