Thursday, February 11, 2010

life with these kids

Things have been pretty hoppin' for me lately. Lots of Etsy sales. Lots of blog hits. Lots of chitter chatter with people who may or may not want me to design for them.


Life is swell. Hectic, but swell.


And sometimes I start to feeling like cool beans.


But then my mind quickly reverts back to something I heard a few years ago. I was at a big book conference hearing my favorite author speak about what it feels like to have won the Pulitzer prize.


He had his whole family with him at his table and prior to his speech he had been holding his new daughter Rosie. He walked to the podium, grasped the sides and said, "I know you are all wondering how it feels to be the Pulitzer winner. Well, I'll tell ya. It's awfully hard to feel cool when you are continually being shat upon by another human being." He then stepped to the side so that we could see his crap stained pants.


And so that's how it is. I'm really just a mom, trying ever so hard to look cool, but it just isn't fully possible when instead of shopping for fashion, I am coerced to drive DAILY to the quarter machines at Block Buster so the boy can get the latest kid craze- squishys. If you haven't heard of them, just wait.





And then there's Birdie. Talk about being shat upon. Three hundred and eighty-four baby wipes a day and believe you me, I'm in the poop trenches. Also, I find it very difficult to carry on a conversation with other adults when instead of watching the news and staying abreast of current affairs, my mind is being fed at a toddler level.




Although I do consider Feist to be a pop culture experience.


And that, dear friends, is the true state of affairs.

6 comments:

Jamie said...

Im laughing, not at you, with you.
Our squishy farm is well underway and the poop, vomit, and snot rule the day!

Elizabeth said...

I think you're doing an excellent job as cool person AND mother. And now I'm getting off your blog before my son sees the Squishy thing.

tollestrupfamily said...

Oh the squishies....we have about a million. We made the trek to the stores way too often to collect the latest squishy. Now they have lost all their allure and I find they all over the house.

margie said...

YOU are a ROCKSTAR...
I didn't know there was a word for these "squishy" little creatures...
Of course the girls and I love them...i have the turtle...
odd...
laughing!
kiss kiss
m

bethtrue said...

Yes we are into the squishies here too. :-) Kid comes home almost daily with a "rare rare whatever" that he traded for at school. Thank goodness they are cheap!

Cindy at LottieBird said...

I do hope you have a nearby friend you can call to cry until you laugh. I remember being in that phase and having such a friend in Barbara. Our quote was, "you know it's going to be one of those days when you start out with poop on yourself."

She called me recently and told me she had one of those days. I couldn't imagine it since her children are all teenagers. Well, the charming bead shop she owns was teaching some mentally challenged adults to make jewelry. The caregivers were more caught up in their own projects than helping with the bathroom responsibilities. I won't share the whole story. I'll just say that dear Barbara had one of those days...