Monday, February 22, 2010

stung


Everybody is so gaga over beach cruisers these days. Have you noticed it? It's become a trend like oil cloth shopping bags and eating overpriced cupcakes (not that there is
anything wrong with either of those things). Maybe it's all part of the going green trend as a whole. Who knows?

I live at the beach and quite frankly I don't see a whole lot of shiny pink bikes along the 101. No, they are more of the 1970's rusted out ten speed with the jimmy rigged, handy dandy board carrier on the side and the little pouch under the seat to hold a doobie or two. Not that I know anything about that kind of stuff. I just live here.

Still, charming, but not the Marsha Brady number that everyone is riding around their neighborhood with the basket on the front and a bell on the handlebar. I think maybe they should be sold as "Suburban Cruisers". I like to call a spade a spade.

So the whole "surburban cruiser" thing just passed me right up. I wish I could say the same for the fancy cupcakes, but I fell for that one hook, line and sinker.

Maybe it was the lack of gears that deterred me. It's really hilly around my house. Heaven forbid I work off a cupcake or two.

And then Andre the Greek bought his son a little motorcycle for Christmas. Let it be known that I have always been anti-motorcycle. He brought the damn thing over to our house to store until the big day. He made me take it for a spin through the neighborhood.

I'm still anti-motorcycle. Yes. But.

Sugar Daddy talked about getting a Vespa a few years back. I pushed for a nice watch. He bought a watch. Oh how I wish I had rallied for the scooter.


After I'm finished remodeling my studio, and saving for my Mac, I've got big plans.

I'm thinking the two toned model in robin's egg blue and cream (of course). However, the pistachio is nice. Smart looking in fact.

I'm going to need the top case to bring home my groceries from the market.

Oh, and a super fab helmet. Safety first.


And a retro green swimsuit to wear to the beach.

All I need you to do is buy some jewelry.

Today.

Please.

Vespa scooters are an Italian invention. The word Vespa means "wasp".


The winner of the beachy necklace is comment number sixty-five (choosen with the random number picker) Mandy of Dash it All. Congratulations! Please email me with your address.

secondsisterjewelry (at) yahoo.com

8 comments:

Jan said...

A Vespa huh. I had a Suzuki 110 as a teenager and rode motocross. Made my mother CRAZY.Which,by the way, was part of the reason I liked it so much.But you know, when my boys became of age, I wouldn't let them have one.No Fair.

lorie said...

I had the cutest Vespa in college, until my roommate took it for an unauthorized spin one day and wrecked it. Bummer, man. They are delightful rides, however. I endorse your choice one hundred percent.

Miki said...

Hubby & I traded in our second vehicle and each got a scooter just over a year ago. It was back when the gas prices went sky high and since hubby works from home, it was ridiculous to have 2 cars in the garage. Well now we have my old mini van and 2 big scoots that we have a blast on! For our anniversary last Sept we drove around Lake Tahoe and spent 3 days up there. We're big on safety first here and we even took a 4 day motorcycle course together. Neither of us rode anything with 2 wheels before the class and now we wonder why we took so long! You'll love it, so I say go for it!

mandyface said...

Huzzah!! I'm so excited!!! Thank you soooo very much!

p.s.- Trying to jump vespa's over mounds of dirt in a muddy field is not a good idea. Just in case you ever had the urge.

Elizabeth said...

I'm dying for a Vespa. Same color. Or even a little MiniCooper in that turquoise blue. Cream interior. Sigh.

The Single Nester said...

I have always wanted a VESPA. Turquoise Blue or Bright Orange. Everyone has them in Italy and I must say that I have almost been knocked down by one many times trying to cross the Italian stradas!

Cindy at LottieBird said...

I think you should get the pistachio--since it was outvoted for your studio.
however...the retro green swimsuit would look fabulous on the robin's egg blue one.

fun dilemma.

* said...

Yep, I hear you. I wanted a Vespa in college. That was back in 1993. Still never got one. But, funny thing, the charm is still there for me. They ooze cool.